IRBRC Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone read The Superannuated Man?

2 posters

Go down

Has anyone read The Superannuated Man? Empty Has anyone read The Superannuated Man?

Post by Admin Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:32 am

What the hell was that?? Can anyone shed some light on that for me....I'm so confused.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.idratherbereadingcomics.com

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Superannuated Man? Empty Re: Has anyone read The Superannuated Man?

Post by overkillm Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 pm

I finally read it last night. I don't think it was all that hard to understand. So for anyone who hasn't read it... spoiler alert, I guess.

Apparently the world's in some post-apocalyptic state where animal-people are the norm and regular humans are rare. The protagonist is one of those last few humans... maybe the last one? He lives on the outskirts of whatever community because he doesn't particularly like the animal folk and they don't particularly like him. He lives with a mannequin for company since it's the closest thing to another human being he's got. There seems to be some kind of tipping point about to be reached... the animal people are hassling him in ways they haven't before. They see him as a threat for some reason, when really he's just trying to survive.

There's some kind of cancer-tumor-behemoth-thing underwater that seems to be taking an interest in things... what is it exactly, and did the protagonist's attempts to find food disturb its slumber? I imagine we'll find out in future issues. It's bizarre but not entirely out-of-place.

One of the two "kids" that the main character scared off at the beginning of the book (in true "crazy old man at the edge of town, dare you to go knock on his door, they say he EATS KIDS" fashion) runs afoul of a big rhino-guy who's just ambushed and killed another animal-person, for reasons unknown. Maybe he's a mentally unbalanced vagrant... maybe he's a drug addict who decided to kill the dealer rather than pay up (I mean, what's in that sack?)... maybe he's an escaped convict that just got revenge on the aniimal-person who set him up. The kid seems somehow familiar with this rhino-creature. Maybe rhino-guy is the "Bosco" that the hyena-guy spying on the main character mentions. I assume he's the catalyst for whatever is about to go down, the tipping point I mentioned. Maybe the animal folk are gearing up for some ridiculous turf war against a lone human.

The issue raises a lot of questions, but it's laying the groundwork for a story about to unfold. The fun is in watching it play out and putting the pieces together. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's got me interested, and I've read waaayyy worse (and more confusing) first issues than this. The most WTF part, I think, was the big tumor-whale-whatever that came outta nowhere with zero explanation. I'm willing to stick with it for at least another couple of issues to see where it goes, but then I generally like stories that make you go "what the hell is going on?"
overkillm
overkillm

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Superannuated Man? Empty Re: Has anyone read The Superannuated Man?

Post by Admin Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 pm

I certainly did not get "post apocalyptic" from that. It had a completely different world feel. Not even so much as not understanding the story...it made sense...just the whole concept of the book itself doesn't make sense, if that makes any sense.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by overkillm Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Well, the status quo seemed to be that humans are rare and talking-animal things are the norm. I took that to mean something happened to wipe humanity out or mutate them into animal things or whatever, so post-apocalyptic. I mean if it's a world where animals have just always talked and humans are just kind of there, that works too. From what I've seen the concept of the book works just fine. Maybe I just have an unusually high weirdness threshold. Like, if you've never read Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, pick that bad boy up and read through it and then see how much more sense this book makes in comparison.  Very Happy 
overkillm
overkillm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Maybe I'll go back and re read it. It wasn't horrible, not even confusing...I think not knowing the premise really threw me off my game. I like the art...and I decline your challenge. Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron does not sound like something I want to attempt to wrap my head around.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum